Navajo Boy Names
A quick look through any worthwhile list of Navajo boy names will show you a lot. It will show you history, the traditions, and the culture of the Navajo people. The Navajos occupy the Four Corners region of the United States, as well as the Navajo Nation. They remain one of the largest Native American tribes in North America.
The names given to Navajo boys offers a significant look into both Navajo history and Navajo culture. Even the most popular examples of Navajo boy names are not names that are given lightly. There are a number of factors that can determine the name a boy is given, and it is something that has always been taken seriously.
Popular Navajo Boy Names
As mentioned before, a number of components are weighed to determine traditional Navajo boy names. Generally speaking, Native American tribes would take into account such factors as gender, nature, totem creatures, and perhaps even the description or appearance of the child itself. These are factors that determine names that can be found in the Navajo tribe, as well.
In terms of popular Navajo boy names, here are a few that you are likely to come across in your research on the subject:
- Ahiga: This name means “He fights.”
- Ashkii: This name means quite simply “Boy.”
- Atsa: This particular Navajo boy name means “Eagle.”
- Bidzii: This is a Navajo name for boys that means “He is strong.”
- Gad: This is a rather interesting example of a Navajo boy name. It means “Juniper tree.”
- Hashkeh Naabah: This is a well-known Navajo boy name that means “Angry warrior.”
- Klah: This traditional Navajo name for boys can be translated as “Left-handed.”
- Sani: This is a great example of the Navajo boy names that have been in use with the tribe for a great many generations. This name can be translated as “Old one.”
- Sicheii: This is a Navajo boy name that means “Grandfather.”
- Tahoma: This beautiful name for boys from the Navajo tribe means “Water’s edge.”
- Tsela: This is a Navajo boy name example that means “Stars lying down.”
- Yas: This is a Navajo boy name that translates to “Snow.”
These are just some of the Navajo boy names that you would come across in any research on the subject. As you can probably imagine, there are a great deal more names that continue to be in use. Note the various components that are clearly in play with determining a traditional Navajo boy name.